Tuesday 29 January 2019

The Big Garden Bird Watch 2019

Last weekend saw the annual Big Garden Bird Watch, organised by the RSPB. You spend an hour counting the birds visiting your garden, or other open space - could be a park, or school grounds etc. It's a huge citizen science project and has been running for 40 years, revealing some interesting trends over that time.

The week leading up to the BGBW weekend had been fairly busy for birds in my garden - a constant flow of visitors to the feeders in the cold but calm weather. However, the weekend saw that come to an end! The weather turned windy and the birds hunkered down.

I had planned to try some sketching - I find sketching garden birds tricky at the best of times, as they tend to be fast moving, but I'd hoped that having a good number of them about would help me get some poses down on paper. In the event the birds tended to pop up for just a few seconds before vanishing, and they tended to arrive all at once then disappear again, so I found the whole thing really difficult - need more practice!




Nevertheless, I ended up with a reasonable list even though I was watching an empty garden for most of the hour!


 


 
 


My final list was: 6 long-tailed tits, 3 blackbirds, 2 chaffinches, 1 great tit, 2 blue tits, 1 robin, 1 dunnock, 1 fieldfare, 5 house sparrows, 1 woodpigeon and 1 coal tit. No sign of the regular starlings, collared doves or stock doves!



No comments:

Post a Comment