Friday 19 April 2019

Bluebells along the bridleway

It seems that spring has properly arrived this week and we're in for a lovely sunny long Easter weekend. Perfect!

I regularly run along the bridleway to the neighbouring village, and I've been keeping an eye on the progress of the bluebells that flower here. So, on a warm afternoon this week I decided it was time to get the nature journal kit out and go do some observing!



These bluebells are the native species Hyacinthoides non-scripta. The Woodland Trust's bluebell page has some useful info. These have the classic English bluebell nodding flower stem with the flowers mostly on one side, and curled back petal tips. The one thing I can't verify is the scent, as I'm blocked up with a cold at the moment!



The bluebells are flowering under the trees along a narrow strip either side of the path, only a few metres wide either side, with arable fields beyond. I'm wondering if there was once a bigger area of woodland here.



I'm lucky to have some lovely woodland nearby that's spectacular for spring bluebells. Pictures from previous years, Papworth Wood and Waresley Wood, in Cambridgeshire:

Papworth Wood bluebells

Waresley Wood bluebells

If you get a chance, I recommend you visit your local bluebells!

No comments:

Post a Comment