Friday 23 June 2017

#30DaysWild, days 11-15

Catching up on #30DaysWild! Some days were more wild than others...

On day 11 I visited the RSPB's Hope Farm in Knapwell, Cambridgeshire, just a few miles from where I live. There was a bird ringing demo, plus moths from a moth trap, and a trailer ride round part of the farm, with commentary on how the farm is run in a profitable and wildlife-friendly way. Lots of other things going on too, and lots of families visiting. Really enjoyed this!

Brimstone moth, RSPB Hope Farm open day

Bird ringing, RSPB Hope Farm open day

Tractor trailer ride, RSPB Hope Farm open day

Day 12 was a not quite so wild day for me. I got out for a run and enjoyed the fresh air and birdsong, then finished off my nature journal entry from my visit to Portholme Meadow a few days earlier.
Nature journalling portholme Meadow


On Day 13 I had some errands in town (St Ives in Cambridgeshire), and I grabbed half an hour down by the river. In the churchyard I found lichen on very old gravestones, and rippled reflections in the river.
Lichen on a gravestone

Ripples and reflections

I'd been looking forward to Day 14 for a while! I went on a guided walk at Paxton Pits Nature Reserve, all about water vegetation and freshwater fish. Saw lots of rare Norfolk Hawker dragonflies too, Paxton Pits is one of the few places to see them in the UK outside of Norfolk. Lovely way to spend a few sunny hours!

Cloudy Pit, Paxton Pits

Water soldier, Paxton Pits

Day 15 I decided to do a bit of citizen science and add my recent wildlife records to the iRecord website. Check it out, every record adds to the understanding of UK wildlife trends!

No comments:

Post a Comment